Wednesday, March 20, 2013 | |

Wasatch Pulp

Wasatch Pulp


Welcome to Wasatch Pulp a blog dedicated to, well, um…blogging. There is nothing much else worth doing in this first post except add an internet’s worth of working knowledge about the blog site's name.


The word Wasatch varies depending on where you go to get your information. One website will list the meaning as a derivative from an old Ute word meaning “mountain pass” while another website will list the meaning as a derivative of an old Paiute word meaning “frozen erection”.  I’m not an etymologist concerning Native American languages and I also don’t mind my blog being associated with either meaning. So, you pick your ontological poison as feel free to associate my content with your “preferred” meaning of Wasatch. It’s between “Mountain pass” or “Dick Popsicle”. I’m just saying people.

"So I was walking over a mountain pass this morning when I came across some pioneers that had frozen to death. I shit you not, every guy in the group was sporting a dick popsicle. This day has been so Wasatch."

Pulp is one of those words that rubs against people’s brain matter like an overabundance of absinthe. Some people cringe at the thought of pulp. They think of pulp as trashy serials and periodicals (or as they are known these days: blogs) which threatens to contain meaty chunks of lurid and seedy subject matter. If you read other people they’ll tell you that pulp is something more of liminal substance. They try to reason that pulp, when taken notice of and reveled in, reminds us of just how random our moral and cultural distinctions are, and how much life and death resides in the pulpy masses that we often ignore. Once again I’m fine with any either distinction that you make.

"I love to see that Nature is so rife with life that myriads can be afforded to be sacrificed and suffered to prey on one another; that tender organizations can be so serenely squashed out of existence like pulp, — tadpoles which herons gobble up, and tortoises and toads run over in the road; and that sometimes it has rained flesh and blood! With the liability to accident, we must see how little account is to be made of it." [Walden]

So feel free drop off every now and again and to stave off a little bit boredom at my expense. Hopefully I can write at a decent regularity, and if not, hopefully the small amount of stuff I put here is worth reading. Either way I'd love it if you stopped by now and again.

- T.S.

0 comments:

Post a Comment