Friday, March 22, 2013 | |

I was stopped at an overpass, when...


I was stopped at an overpass, when I noticed a homeless man walking to a 2011 Impala. Here is how the scene took place.
 
 
"The sign says it all. Conversation will cost you extra."
 

Man, bearded and in his late fifties to early sixties, walks over to 2011 Impala wearing black corduroys and an overly used Carhardtt’s military jacket. He has a jocular disposition and accepts a ten dollar bill in his fist and points to the portion of his sign that says “God Bless”. The young male in the car laughs, looks forward and drives forward through a now yellow light. In doing so the driver (who has money to burn; the standard double exhaust pipes say so, not I) makes sure that he is the only one that passes through the current game of Red, Yellow, Green, to the next place on the transit-based, grid system. The $10+ man looks at the cars around him and seeing no opportunity turns back to his pleading station on the overpass, only to see another man, with a similar sign to his own, standing in the place he had once occupied. Their conversion begins.

$10+ man:

I don’t believe this shit.

Man in Camo Boonie Hat and Slacks:

Believe it; just fucking happened.

$10+ man:

Step the fuck off mothafucker. Shit ain’t alright.

Man in Camo Boonie Hat and Slacks:

Shit ain’t ever been right, but the time is. I’ve been watching you dance and court the assholes that stop at this light from that Sev, that bitch there kiddie corner; right next to the McCiddees for four god damn hours.

$10+ man:

I work here.

Man in Camo Boonie Hat and Slacks:

You did up to four fucking seconds ago. Right up until you made your last ten dollars of the day.

$10+ man:

I…work here.

Man in Camo Boonie Hat and Slacks:

Me too.

$10+ man:

It doesn’t work that way.

Man in Camo Boonie Hat and Slacks:

It doesn’t work here anymore. I do. If you work well with others you can stay.

$10+ man:

It doesn’t work that way.

Man in Camo Boonie Hat and Slacks:

Doesn’t matter, cause it doesn’t work here anymore. Open your fucking ears. If you want to work here then stand to my right…or better yet—take the medium over there where the cars turn left.

$10+ man:

I was here first.

Man in Camo Boonie Hat and Slacks:

All the more reason for you to take what you got and leave something for others.

$10+ man:

But…

Man in Camo Boonie Hat and Slacks leaves the$10+ man and retrieves $2’s from a Mustang. He then shows the money to the money to the disgruntled beggar with a big smile.

$10+ man:

I…

Man in Camo Boonie Hat and Slacks leaves the $10+ man and retrieves a buck from the car in front of me. As I drive off, I make a left hand turn.  I can see the $10+ man making his way homeless from his work. He is mumbling about something, but who has time to care about what he is saying when I am already late for physical therapy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment